Thursday 11 March 2010

Old Crown Round

With the weather looking stable and leave that needs taking I'd booked Monday off for a big day out. A friend suggested the Old Crown Round in the northern lakes as a good trip, so early on Monday I drove up to Heskett Newmarket for the OCR. Of the 10 summits, 8 were new to me. Blencathra and Skiddaw have been ticked many times since I was a lass, and I've only ever been to Carrock to boulder not to touch the cairn. It was another beautiful day (it'll be a shock when it rains again!). It was chilly to start with, but warmed up at lower levels during the day.

The snow was mixed underfoot, in places patchy, in others a good deep covering, sometimes hard and crusty in others soft and sugary. It was also very quiet on the hills and I saw few people away from the summits of Blencathra and Skiddaw. I got my food and water fairly spot on and felt strong all the way around. I didn't push it as I knew I was still tired from the last week and racing at Black Combe, but made steady progress all the way around. A fantastic day out. Made it 25.4 miles with over 8500 feet of ascent. That'll do nicely!




No comments: