Sunday 21 March 2010

Middlefell Fell Race

Having already clocked something like 50 plus running miles and 8 walking miles this week, I still fancied racing at Middlefell yesterday. Its a local race that I haven't done before and I've only been up the fell once and that was earlier this year! So after a miserable wet morning, I donned full waterproofs for a trog over the hill to Nether Wasdale, but just as I was leaving the rain stopped and as I climbed up over Irton fell the clouds broke and the sun came out! Unfortunately I hadn't packed a vest or shorts so it was going to be a warm run!!

Took it very steady over the fell, and had time to chat before the race. Checked out the race route and it was as I thought - flat out and back across the valley, with a nice climb and descent in the middle. Oh well, tired legs would mean a painful finish! Felt really quite strong despite feeling tired and even managed to pick off a couple of places on the climb which is very unusual for me! Held onto my place on the descent too - local knowledge providing the edge on that one! The undercarriage definitely fell off on the return across the valley, but I dug in knowing that next week is an easy week and I'd already arranged a lift home with bribary of tea, honey cake and a shower! And despite the weeks mileage and ascent totals I finished second lady!

No comments: