Tuesday 6 April 2010

Easter Weekend - wet, windy and sunny

Had the in laws up this weekend.

Friday we went for a walk in the afternoon - nothing strenous at all.

Saturday, a longer fell walk was planned so I put on my running kit and arranged to come back down off the fells the way they were heading up, ran 7.7 miles before I meet up with the walking party in upper miterdale. I'd gone up through the forest to Irton Fell, Whin Rigg, Ill Gill Head and down to Burnmoor. The weather had been cloudy and a bit drizzly up to that point, and as I met the walkers, the rain got heavier. I changed into dry clothes on my top half, but as the temperature dropped and the rain turned to heavy hail, I got very cold. As we were now walking I was struggling to get warm. We dropped down to Burnmoor Tarn and walked back along past the Stone Circles above Boot, to Blea Tarn, the Fisherground and then home. After the earlier hail and sleet it warmed up again and the sun came out much to my relief, but I was worried by how cold I had got. 7.7 miles run, 7 miles walked.

Sunday, P was at St Bees with the BMC re-bolting meet. I headed up to Wasdale Head for a long run. The weather again was drizzly and low-ish cloud. I wasn't in the mood to get wet and cold ....again, and had a 'low' level run planned linking the passes and valleys: Wasdale Head; Black Sail Pass; Black Sail Hut, Ennerdale; Scarth Gap; Buttermere; Honister via Fleetwith Pike Quarries; Stonethwaite, Borrowdale; Langstrath; Sticks Pass; Stakes Gill; Rossett Gill, Esk Hause..

At this point my route was to take me down into Upper Eskdale and back over Mickledore. Two things - 1. I'd run out of food, completely! I obviously hadn't eaten enough the day before and had been ravenous all day!. 2. There was a lot of very slippy wet snow up there and the descent down through the slot of Knotts of the Tongue looked particularly uninviting. So being sensible I bailed at this point and dropped to Styhead and Wasdale Head. Total of about 23 miles and about 7000 feet ascent. A really good run, despite the slightly inclement weather and lo calories!

No comments: