Wednesday 4 March 2009

Snowy Whinlatter and a pb!

Last night we went out night riding at Whinlatter - just a short blast around the north loop in the wind and rain. It was raining heavily at the cars when we left, but as we climbed up the hillside this turned to snow - big damp wet flakes of snow but snow none the less! It was really picturesque, even in the dark! It was also very slippy, and I managed to stack and take a roll down the hillside at one point when I lost concentration. Luckily no major damage done but I do have a good purple bruise on my right knee. there's always a perverse pleasure being out in the bad weather when you know most haven't gone out! We didn't see anyone else.

Stats: Total Mileage 5.77 (said it was short!), Total Ascent: 1550'

Tonight I made an effort to head straight out from home after getting back from work with the aim of getting a whole fell run in without a torch! Bingo! I ran over to Miterdale and up through the forest to Irton Fell and up onto Whin Rigg and back. The snow was down to about level with the trees in places and was mostly soft and soggy but it was also icy and hard in places too! 

I managed a PB to the top of Whin Rigg from the house 42:01 minutes!! (over a minute quicker than previously) despite not making a huge effort. I rewarded myself with a rest at the top - I normally head straight back down again, but the views tonight were spectacular, with a wonderful alpenglow on the fells and some impressive shower clouds around. It may be that running this in the light for a change meant I was faster, but the conditions under foot were soooo wet and boggy that must have slowed me down a bit. I reckon I'm getting fitter!

Stats: Total Mileage: 6.15, Total Ascent: 2600'

No comments: