Monday 2 March 2009

catch up!

Well the knee seems to have recovered! I rested Wednesday and then rode into work and back on Thursday, and followed that with half (!) a long course night orienteering event in the valley. It was pretty tough conditions up on the fell (the kind of mist where your torch beam just comes straight back at you!) and after spending a fair while with others trying to find the sixth checkpoint in the cloud and rain, I decided I wanted my dinner!! I have to say that others much more experienced than me all packed it in as well, and P was waiting diligently for me to come back before he had his tea! But as I ran over to the start and back and did about half the course it was a reasonable test of my knee and it seemed to hold up!

Stats for the 'orienteering': Total Mileage: 5.65, Total Ascent: 1800'

Rode to work and back again on Friday and decided to give the knee another days rest and went climbing indoors on Saturday. Had a reasonably good session. I stuck to 5 - 6a routes, but was pretty pleased with how easy the 6a's felt, considering I'm doing the least climbing I've done in a while while not being injured! 

So to Sunday when I kept up the recce fever and drove over to Honsiter Pass to look at the fell part of leg 5! When I parked up at the boulders just down from the pass it was peeing it down, but it stopped and apart from a couple of hail showers it remained dry almost to the minute I got back to the car! Even the tops were clear as I passed over them. Had a good day out and the knee held up again, although I was conscious of it occasionally. The climb up Dalehead was fun - I know it well now, and I enjoyed the ridge running along to Hindscarth and Robinson. I managed to find the BG descent off Robinson, mainly by following my nose! I then ran out to Little Town, before doubling back on myself to Dalehead pass and round and back to Honsiter.

Times were fine despite making a conscious effort to walk on the climbs! It wasn't a long day out - I still need to do a few of them, but it felt easy, and most importantly I'm not hobbling around afterwards! Rode to work and back again today just to keep the legs moving, and despite a bit of tiredness I felt really strong on the hills! 

Sunday stats: Total Mileage: 12.0 Total Ascent: 4850'

No comments: