Monday 19 July 2010

Wasdale Fell Race

A week last saturday was the Wasdale fell race - always one to get my nerves going for some reason - whether its because its on local terrain and therefore I put myself under more pressure - who knows! Anyway as forecast the day dawned wet, windy and a thick mist covered the fells down to almost valley level. The start was delayed by over 20 minutes which didn't help the nerves! I had no real game plan - I desperately wanted to finish as last time I started I dnf'd at Pillar (I'd just spent 5 12 hour days moving house!) but I also wanted to race, as its not just about getting round.

I started steadily and at the first checkpoint was with two other lasses with one way out in front. The group I was with all took the long way round to get back down the the valley, with not one following me the direct way, so I managed to break away from the other 2 lasses, and that was the last I saw of them. Managed to 'team' up with a small group from Pots of Ashness to Scoat Fell col, the only real bit of navigation needed, and then pulled away.

Managed to trip over coming off Pillar and scuffed my knees a bit. Also managed to drop a full water bottle on the traverse around Kirkfell, which Ros had just handed to me at Black Sail. From then on I was drinking handfuls from streams only! Luckily the fell streams were all very much replenished after the dry spell!

After Sty Head I was on my own until the descent off the Pike, although I passed a couple of runners on the way, and then suffered badly with no grip on the final descent off Lingmell as my old faithful shoes were now thoroughly worn! Finished in 5:31, which was a mildly disappointing time, but the overall winners time was possibly the slowest ever due to conditions! Much more impressed with my overall placing 2nd Lady, 35th out of 167 starters and 122 finishers.

No comments: