Friday 2 July 2010

BG - Leg 2 - Threlkeld to Dunmail


Rich and John were all ready, and while they swapped over kit, Ros got some sweetened tea down me and shoved a jam butty in my hand. I felt incredibly full at that point as Sam had made me eat so much on the first leg. I was also very hydrated as I’d had to stop for a pee on the summit of Blencathra. I did feel slightly surreal at this point as it felt like it should have been someone else doing this and not me! All these people where here for me and fussing over me! A very strange situation.

The five minutes rest was over all to quickly and after a quick thanks to Chris, John, Rich, Gem and I headed on our way past Newsham and up towards Clough Head. We made steady progress on the ascent, with Rich leading the way with huge assurance on the right route. Gem was busy racing ahead and seemed desperate to get on with it. At one point the head torches of the P&B lads all stopped and turned towards us, as I think Gem had caught them up and given them a bit of a shock seeing a lonesome sheepdog out on the fells near midnight! It was a balmy evening and I was still in shorts and t-shirt although I’d grabbed a long sleeve top at the last minute from Ros’s van to put on.

We picked up the trod first time near the top on the small corrie and were soon at the summit of Great Calva. I just managed to finish my jam butty by the top! The next few summits passed pretty quickly and uneventfully. I have never really got my head around this part of the leg, despite several recces, all in poor weather. I have never been able to remember the order of the fells, until Raise, and so it seemed with this traverse too. We had a wonderful view of the P&B group ahead, headtorches shinning in the darkness. The half full crescent moon sat low in the sky, shinning orange in the blackness.

All the time John kept a steady feed of food and water coming, although I was starting to struggle with the sweet foods. I knew that this would happen but had had real problems thinking what I may want to eat instead. John suggested I try one of his Cumberland sausages. Although this tasted good, it took considerable time for me to eat, and sat badly in my stomach. John then suggested I tried one of his new potatoes. This was salvation in carb. form!! It went down well and actually seemed to ease the slight queasiness in my stomach. Before we reached Dunmail I rather dented his supply!

It was with some awe that we watched the moon become gradually more orange as it set to the west, becoming a deep blood orange before it disappeared. At the same time, very early it seemed there was a vague lightening in the east. As this grew we realised that there was a stunning cloud inversion, and the Thirlmere valley was swathed in cloud. The climb up onto Hellvellyn seemed so easy by comparison to previous recces (all in high winds) as we were quickly trotting off towards Nethermost Pike.

Rich’s unerring navigation in the dark was something to behold, as we made good time in a great line towards the next summit. It felt like it took ages, but I think its always felt like it should be shorter than it really is. After Nethermost we hit some of the valley cloud which had risen up to meet us, and I ticked the only clagged summit of the round on Dollywagon Pike. I also needed another pee by this point which was a great sign. My bowels didn’t do me any favours here though and I have to apologise to all to passed this way in the day after me! Rich got out his compass and made a bearing to pick up the path and the old fence post at the top of the descent. Gem was already one step ahead of us and was sat waiting patiently by the post ready to descend. What a great lass.

We’d been keeping to time pretty much until now, but along the last few miles my right knee had started feeling sore on the outside of the joint, and I had a soreness in the outer part of my hip and thigh. As we descended down to Grisdale Tarn, this became very sore, and I started having to lead with my left leg. I could tell I was slowing down and not running freely. This started playing havoc with my mind. I really couldn’t think what I’d done and why it was hurting, and more to the point what I could do about it. It was a new pain and therefore not one I felt I could dismiss lightly. As we trotted around towards Fairfield, I was able to keep moving at a trot and felt slow but pain free on the climb up Fairfield. The decent was a different story! We passed the P&B runners here as we went up, and they were fairly spread out by this point. Some looked so fresh and springy I couldn’t help but envy them.

This was my lowest point, as I was trying to think my way through this one. I took some ibuprofen, and hoped that would at least ease things. The run down off Seat Sandal was more of a sideways shuffle and felt painfully slow. Just how was I going to complete when this was my descending speed here at the end of Leg 2!

We arrived at Dunmail, as the P&B lads had just left, leaving 3 of their group behind. I was 10 minutes down on schedule here, but somehow this didn’t panic me. Ros had some soup ready which went down incredibly well (Heinz Lentil Soup) and some bread. Also Cheese oatcakes and cheese, and sweetened tea. I changed my socks again, and re-vaselined my feet, which we feeling fine. I was aware that John and Rich were busty refuelling as both were accompanying me to Wasdale on double legs. Gem was staying behind as even wonder dog wouldn’t do Broad Stand!

No comments: